Sunday, July 3, 2011

Assignment One: Layering used in e-Wallpaper

To begin with, my e-Wallpaper is based on a vintage and old school theme since I'm currently inspired by those themes. Don't ask me why. However, I think that this theme is unique as my e-Wallpaper and also different from the conventional open day posters.

I designed my own background for this e-Wallpaper. First, I create a new A4 document with a cream color background.
Next, I added a crumpled old paper image onto the background and set the blending mode to 'Overlay' and reduce its opacity to 70%.
After that, I am going to add some circle motifs as part of my background. To do so, create a new document with 40 x 40 pixels and create a new layer. Use the ellipse tool to draw a perfect black colored circle that covers the whole canvas.
Once a perfect circle is obtained, hide the background layer to get the transparent background and define the pattern. The purpose of this step is to use this shape as a pattern as part of my background for e-Wallpaper.
Now, return to the e-Wallpaper and got to the Pattern Overlay option and choose the newly created circle as the pattern and reduce its opacity to 7%. As a result, circles are automatically created all over the canvas.
To add a border effect, I used the 'Rounded Rectangle Tool' to create a rectangle shape positioned approximately at the center of the canvas. Then, I used the 'Underpainting' filter and reduced its opacity to 10%.
To add more old paper look, I added some dirty smears or stain like using the 'Watercolor Brush Tool' and use a mixture of black and white colors. Later, the opacity of the watercolor marks are reduced to 10%.
Finally, I'm done with my background :)

Now let's move on to the contents of the e-Wallpaper. First, the image of a woman that was previously selected in my raw images post is pasted into the canvas. Then, I created a new layer and draw an outline around the image of the woman by using the 'Polygonal Lasso Tool' and fill the selected area with black color using the 'Paint Bucket Tool'. Then, reduce its opacity to 20% so that it will look darker compared to the background.
The next few steps are pasting the images in the canvas and these images are positioned and resized accordingly.
That's it for now :) Will post an entry on how I add the texts and the techniques I used for photo retouching. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment